Last Updated on May 4, 2021 by Pamela
Riding the funicular in Quebec City is the fastest way to travel from the top of Cap Diamant (where Château Frontenac is located) to Petit-Champlain and Place-Royale down below.
It is also one of the best ways to avoid the breakneck steps and Côte de la Montagne, one of the steepest hills in Old Quebec City! Of course, in the height of summer, there can be long lines, but the view is worth it.
The first funicular in Quebec City was built in 1879 by William Griffith and operated off a counterweight water process and steam power. Twenty-eight years later, it was converted to electrical power. Raised by a fire in 1945, the cars were converted to metal, then converted to glass in 1978 so riders could admire the view of the Saint-Lawrence River.
Today, the two cars which run up and down Cap Diamant continue to offer spectacular views. The funicular is generally open daily, and has been known to only close during severe wind storms, very icy weather, and, of course, COVID lockdowns (heh!).
16, rue du Petit-Champlain
From Château Frontenac, walk to Dufferin Terrace and look for the green and white Funiculaire sign. From below, walk towards the breakneck stairs.
May–end-Oct daily 7:30am–11pm; rest of the year, check their website.
$3.75 CAD, one way. CASH ONLY!