Last Updated on May 4, 2021 by Pamela
This beautiful 17th-century monastery was founded by the Augustinian sisters who arrived in New France (now Quebec City) in 1639. Tasked with carrying for the health and well being of the colonists and Indigenous peoples of the area, the Augustines established the first hospital, Hôtel-Dieu de Québec, which is still in operation today.
A little over 375 years after its founding, Monastère des Augustines went through an extensive renovation, turning the aging monastery into an award-winning wellness retreat. Today, the monastery features a museum, archives, wellness workshops, an auberge, and a healthy restaurant.
During the holiday season, concerts are held in the chapel. Visit the monastery’s website for more information.
77, rue des Remparts • Old Quebec City
418-694-1639 or 1-844-694-1639
Take bus 11 or 25 to stop #1140 Hôtel-Dieu, walk down to the corner of Côte du Palais and rue des Remparts and turn right. Monastère des Augustines is on the right.
You can also walk to the entrance on rue Charlevoix, which is just off Côte du Palais, towards Chez Ashton and rue Saint-Jean.
$10.50 CAD self-guided or $15 CAD guided
Rooms start at $80 CAD per person, per night. Book here.